Mutinous Angel

Posted in Heroes, News on Tuesday, October 19th, 2010 at 11:26 am 68 Comments

At the intersection of rebellion and redemption, stands Mutinous Angel. Strapped and buckled, his face obscured by a full mask and dark glasses, it’s difficult to discern whether he is friend or foe. And the answer may lie somewhere in between—for at times in his life, he has been both.

“Throughout elementary school, I was kind of a bully and a ringleader” he says candidly. And he grew into that role a little too easily. ““I was kind of a troubled kid, and got put in a special class for ‘bad’ students,” he says, “I got into fights a lot, all through middle school, high school—it was always the same thing.” Growing up in a neighborhood dominated by gangs, the pressure to join, to conform, was immense. “There were times when I was walking home from school, and getting picked on by people in their 20’s.” But in his junior year of high school, things began to change. Change prompted by a chance encounter that would alter the course and trajectory of his life.

“In the 11th grade, I got sent to after-school detention for two weeks,” he says, “and I was brought into the Assistant Principal’s office while she called home to let my parents know why I was in trouble. The whole time she was talking, I was making fun of her, right to her face, which could’ve gotten me kicked out or expelled,” he goes on, “But she didn’t kick me out. She reached out instead. She showed me kindness when I was doing bad, and that got me thinking what a fool I was.” And that was just the beginning of a 180° turnaround.

In time, Mutinous Angel was introduced to the world of the Real Life Superheroes while browsing online. “I thought it was strange that there was this guy in a mask being interviewed, dressed-up as some kind of a superhero,” but it was the mention of a “community” of these like-minded individuals that sparked an interest. Gradually befriending activist heroes in San Francisco’s East Bay via MySpace, “I was invited to go out on patrol with some guys. Being an adventurer, I pretty much said ‘yes,’ just to see what I could get myself into, what I was capable of.” Prior training in martial arts was helpful in getting started, “and originally, I was out almost every night, in dangerous neighborhoods, staking out areas where I thought it was likely trouble would happen—and it did. But now things are different,” he says.

Different because Mutinous Angel is pursuing a career in law enforcement, with a specialization in gang-related work. “I look back and I know,” he says reflectively, “I think of my family, and if they saw me in one of those gangs back then, I would bring them all down with that.” So he hopes to help others recognize that they do, in fact, have a choice to get out of the life, or never get into it altogether.

The tension between the rebellious and the angelic is ongoing for Mutinous Angel, and is reflected in the name he chose. “This character is, I guess, like a type of representation of myself and what I am inside,” he says. “The reason I chose the name is because I’m a follower of God, and while that doesn’t make me perfect, I still have my mistakes. So I rebel against God, and at the same time, try to be his servant. It’s what I am.”

Now, with one foot in the activist community, and the other in the criminal justice system, Mutinous Angel can see more clearly, how critical that Assistant Principal’s intervention truly was. “I know now what I want to do. I want to do this, to safeguard the streets, to return the kindness that changed me. I want to contribute to society, not tear it down.”

Mutinous Angel’s Pictures:

Mutinous Angel's Poster Mutinous Angel's Portrait

68 Comments to “Mutinous Angel”

1. stixnstones says:

I think your amazing

2. street Angel says:

amigo espero que estes super bien desde mexico te mando saludos tu amigo street angel

3. Jakob Brush says:

This story is amazing, And you are aswell. Inspiring, also. And a awesome Costume.:D

4. BlackRaven says:

hay man ive changed my name again now i am the black raven but lets chat again sum time

5. BLUE JAY says:

mutinous angel im glad for what you do in this world and i hope you and the RLSH can turn the world to a peaceful haven some day i plan on helping the community as my own RLSH the city of philly isnt exactly your Metropolis but maybe i can turn the table on crime thanks

6. Sithon says:

inturesting fellow you are. quite a young hero :)
    Courage and God Speed

7. Jakob Brush::: Thank you, I try to use functional tactical gear with an aggressive look to intimidate law breakers.

Blackdog Phantom::: thank you friend, I need God as much as everyone else.

BlackRaven::: by all means feel free to message me anytime, thanks

Blue Jay::: I truly hope we can make that difference someday, please be safe in Philly.

Sithon::: Thanks Sithon, your words are encourraging.

Thank you all for your comments, thank you for your support, be safe and God bless

Mutinous Angel

8. bomba says:

good shit. hopefully we will one day have peace in this world god bless u. stay safe dont forget to bob and weave

9. Carna says:

Here’s a question of curiosity: Do you believe in karma? I understand you follow God, however, do you also share the belief of karma?

10. peyton says:

Where did you get that uniform?

11. Thanks bomba, bob and weave is what I do.
    I’m with you on world peace

12. Carna,

In my personal opinion I believe karma is peoples own guilt for their mistakes that later haunts them. We do something bad we pay the price one way or another and when we do we remember the bad we commited. So to answer your question, yes I do believe in karma in a Godly way where we pay for our sins here on Earth.

Peyton,

I bought most of it at a surplus store around my area and the rest was purchased at online “armoury” stores. I just customized and fabricated most of the gear I bought.

thanks for your comments

be safe

Mutinous Angel

13. The Silver Bullet says:

Hi im a huge fan, im just starting out and was wondering do you ever get into serious trouble with the police or anyone else?

14. Muhammad says:

I think you are doing a great job by helping people out. You are making a big difference to the community. You seem like a very chill cool dude, I wish I can meet you in real life.

15. The shield says:

Thanks to u :) u made me realize how the world is and that somebody gotta help it with what they got just like u.And u made me realize that I’m gonna be a superhero and keep up the good work

16. Rei says:

Hey, Mutinous Angel I just wanted to say that you’re a great hero and person!