DC’s Guardian

Posted in Heroes, News on Wednesday, November 17th, 2010 at 1:00 am 32 Comments

Some missions we choose. Others, choose us. For DC’s Guardian, that call came at an early age. Growing up at the knees of WWII, Korean War and Vietnam veterans, he learned that the freedoms and advantages we take for granted as Americans come at a price. And if we forget that price, we are bound to lose all that comes with it.

Clad in a striking uniform of red, white and blue, an intentional nod to another childhood influence, Captain America, DC patrols the metro area of our nation’s capitol, dispensing pocket copies of our Constitution, Bill of Rights and Declaration of Independence, as a reminder of all we stand for as a nation. But before he put this uniform on, he traveled the globe in that of the U.S. military. “I saw what the world was really like, the good and the bad, and realized that America has a lot to offer—if its people stand up for the foundation it was built upon.”

DC’s Guardian’s Video:

As with all of his actions, everything about DC’s uniform is deliberate. Featuring the colors of the flag, in honor of those “who’ve gone before,” 13 stars, one for each of the original 13 colonies, and red “wings,” in deference to his comic book inspiration, DC is careful to cover every inch of his 6’2 frame. This, he reasons, is to allow everyone he meets to see themselves behind the mask—white, Hispanic, black, Asian—because under the mask we are all the same, with shared goals, aspirations and the desire to see our communities thrive by doing good. “The uniform is a great conversation-starter,” he says, “and the basic conversation is always the same: Helping people find their own ways of showing their love for their country, and the way it started out.” For DC that means not waiting for permission, but instead, recognizing what is right, and taking the actions to make it happen.

Among the many ways he has personally taken action is as a founding member of the Skiffytown League of Heroes, a national network of Real Life Superheroes, whose focus is on serving the cities and towns in which they live. The League has organized “round-ups” across the country, coming together in aid of Make-A-Wish, The Joyful Heart Foundation, the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Army Fisher Houses, the Autism Research Institute and more. “We have worked to give back to our communities,” he says, “especially to the kids. They are our future, they are our legacy.”

For DC, it’s not all about wearing uniforms, but about simply deciding to act, and in so doing, taking a role in creating the country—the world—we all want to live in.

“People have forgotten to stand up and speak out for what’s right. You know that lump in your throat you get when you’re about to do something risky? The right decision is always the easy part, acting on it is hard. But once you try it, you realize it isn’t so hard after all.”

To learn more about the Skiffytown League of Heroes, visit:

DC’s Guardian’s Pictures:

DC's Guardian's Poster DC's Guardian's Portrait

32 Comments to “DC’s Guardian”

You’re inspiring, My Friend!

2. Thre3 says:

Very awesome.

3. Patriot says:

Lookin awesome Sir. Can’t wait to work with you again.

4. A real representation of what American ideals should be in action…

5. Unkown Hero says:

I am not familiar with Captain America but I think what DC does is amazing. He does look a little like Captian America. It’s so sweet about the kid and the picture of DC. He really believes in heroes. Do any of you belive in real life teen heroes?

6. Just wanted to be someone who said thank you. I don’t love everything America has become but I do love her, her many good people and most of the ideals she stood for. But God help us. I am proud of you and all you try to do. I hope you many safe years of success!
    I kinda’ try to do likewise but media is my weapon of choice. Kinda’ doing the same thing differently.
    G7MT

7. Minuteman says:

Wonderful Shots DC
    You’re definitely one of MY heroes

Great work Mr. Tangen

8. Nyx says:

Your video-clip left me awestruck when I saw it. Your dedication inspires us all.

9. net97surferx says:

I too have been a Captain America fan since the 60’s… I have often daydreamed about ’suiting up’ but, it has been over three decades since I was in military ‘fit’ shape to do justice to his uniform (or any other tight fitting spandex!)

DC and all the RLSHs are to be saluted and congratulated for doing while others stand and watch.
    Keep up the good work(s).

10. Sarah says:

This looks like a fun way to spread the word of the constitution. Very cool, haha!

11. Len says:

Great. Absolutely great.

12. Cadet Zero says:

i AM a teen superhero name is cadet zero

13. Prime Penguin says:

DC is one of the truly good people on this planet….. and I am honored to call him friend..

Well done, Sir… well done…

14. Tresix says:

When I saw “DC’s Guardian”, I thought they were talking about the Guardian from DC Comics. Guardian was created by Jack Kirby and Joe Simon, who also created Captain America. Like Cap, Guardian also used a shield. As much as I like the idea of superheroes, would their actions be really condoned by law enforcement? I’d like to think so.

15. De'anglo says:

Hey DC, you’re my hero and one of my greatest inspirations. in a few years if this is still goin i’m joining u as your side kick. every captain america needs his bucky.

16. matt connolly says:

good job handing out copies of the u.s. constitution your are definatley one of my favorates now you and Nyx

17. Parthenon says:

Great job DC! Can’t wait to see you in action!
    ~Dan

18. Whipstitch says:

DC is the reason I want to become a hero myself!

19. [...] DC’s Guardian is a real life superhero—whose red, white and blue character founded the Skiffytown League of Heroes. As told by Milwaukee-based blog Heroes in the Night, Guardian recently paid a visit to Helix Charter High School, and impressed students and teachers. [...]

god bless America and god bless you DC.

21. mike says:

I live in dc its glad to know your protecting us.

22. Crystal says:

Can a person buy your poster’s?

23. The crow says:

I saw your video on YouTube today and you are an inspiration. I may be one of those heroes that are dark but that doesnt mean I don’t care about people. I hope that even though I’m 14 that I can be a good hero like you. You’re in my prayers. Hope you never give up.

24. chris says:

I’m from Baltimore. Maryland I love what your doing and would. Like to join please email me keep up the good work

25. Daniela says:

I can’t explain how amazing I think what you guys do everyday is! I chose you to comment on because I was wondering how anyone could devote their who life to doing what you do, and reading your story I see where it all came from. I love how your target is bettering the country as a whole, and your superhero you’ve created represents your love for your country and it’s history. Seeing that you’ve put your experience and knowledge of the bad things in our world and put it towards doing good, is something little to no people are capable of doing and I admire it! Good luck

26. The Metal Skull says:

i live 20 minutes away from D.C .next time i visit there, ill keep an eye out for you!

27. Unsure kid says:

Hi Dc! Im very new to this and i need a little bit of help.

Eddbugg@hotmail.com
    Please Email :)

28. o SUPREMO says:

DEUS TE ABENÇOE DC

29. dallin says:

30. LongGoneOne says:

Hey DC,
    I realize you probably don’t look at this site anymore, but I want you to know that you were always inspiring to me when we met several years ago. I believe some folks have given you a hard time lately, and of course I don’t know the whole story but I hope that it hasn’t changed the good person that you are. Because despite our human flaws and weaknesses, there is always a noble spirit underneath, and what you stood for and the kids you inspired will be what lingers on. Stay good, DC.