Good Samaritan

Posted in Heroes, News on Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 at 2:46 pm 21 Comments

We’re all urged to “Think Global, Act Local.” But in Good Samaritan’s hands, that adage gets flipped on its head. Because it is through his work on behalf of those living half-a-world away, that he inspires others back in his adopted community of Los Angeles, California.

Ethiopia is a long way from Good Samaritan’s birthplace in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. But in the aftermath of the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, he saw first-hand what people can accomplish when they pull together. “I am basically a devout man of faith,” he says, “worshipping and serving Christ in a practical way. My church teaches us to ‘Reach the World by Serving One.’ But why does the ‘one’ have to be in your own backyard?” And so his work with The Generosity Foundation and its global outreach began.

Founded by Phillip Wagner, pastor of Oasis Church, where Good Samaritan is an active member, the Generosity Foundation came about in 2008 to meet an urgent need. “Over one billion people all over the planet don’t have access to clean water,” Good Samaritan says, “and we’re helping to bring it to them,” by building clean water wells. Within two years, the Foundation has built and rehabbed 108 wells in 15 countries. “That means with 300 people served per well, over 30,000 people have been saved. Now kids can go to school, have a future, and move on with their lives.”

But it wasn’t always so clear to Good Samaritan how his own life would move forward.

“After Katrina, I felt the Lord lean on my heart, telling me to go to Los Angeles,” he says. “I didn’t know exactly why, but I just knew I needed to be there.” So he went, and became part of the family at Oasis Church and its Generosity Foundation. But after two years, he felt his path still remained unclear. After a while, he gave God an ultimatum. “’Show me what you have, or I quit’—I’d never done anything that bold or demanding before—and about a week later I got my answer.” That was when he came across a TV special about Real Life Superheroes. “My reaction was ‘That’s crazy, my church wouldn’t go for that, my family would think I was insane, and God wouldn’t like it at all.’ But I talked with the leaders of the church, and they told me to first go out and help myself before I could help others.”

And by taking on an attitude of moving forward as a costumed hero, Good Samaritan was born. His first outreach mission on L.A.’s Skid Row in June 2010, led to further research and exploration online. That, in turn, brought him to the Extreme Justice League of San Diego, CA, and more friendships and patrols followed. And all of it influenced by the notion of “reaching the world by serving one.”

Taking his name from the parable in Luke 10:25-37, “I decided I was going to be the ‘Good Samaritan’ to the people I meet. It’s what’s been ingrained in me,” he states. “I realized I’m not vengeful, I like to laugh and have a good time—and serve, and serve, and serve—so I decided that’s my persona, that’s who I am.”

Living and working in a city “where people put on a lot of facades,” Good Samaritan is minimally masked and costumed—for a reason. “I want people to see me, and believe in me, and know who I am,” he continues. “I want to make sure I’m somebody who’s honest with myself, with God, and with people. I want to be looked to when someone’s in need, and needs to be helped.”

Be they local… or a little farther from home.

Join Good Samaritan in supporting Generosity Water:

And learn more about the ministries of Oasis Church at:

Good Samaritan’s Picture:

Good Samaritan's Portrait

21 Comments to “Good Samaritan”

1. Good Samaritan,

You and I share the same religious beliefs.

MutinousAngel

Good Samaritan was one of the first really “Good Kids” I met of the wave that followed after a few of us joining the RLSH Movement. This guy is just so indisputably good that I had a hard time believing it was true at one brief point. And I apologize to him for that.

Religion isn’t a direct emphasis for what some of us do because we’ve seen it be divisive. But I think there’s at least an unspoken background there for a lot of us.

I gotta admit that I was a bit suspicious of it and brought direct questions to GS. He answered every one – and without hesitation or a lack of faith in what he’s doing. While I understand that religion is something that CAN GO RIGHT, and be inclusive, rather than exclusive, I’ve so often seen it go wrong in so many people’s misinterpretations of it. Some of us are so jaded, but that’s not Good Samaritan’s way at all.

Good Samaritan seems to have the right perspective on this whole thing about being an RLSH, too. Where so many of us get mixed up in minutiae, he’s very clear that there’s so much good that we can do.

Good Samaritan doesn’t push anything on anyone else. He just does good, to do good for it’s own sake. He’s not looking to force anything on anyone else.

If I could paraphrase our conversations, he might say something like, “God will find them if and only when it’s time for them. Until then, I’m just here to help them however I can.” -In fact, I do believe he said just that.

This guy is awesome!

3. Phantom Zero says:

Good Samaritan–one of the nicest people you will ever meet, and genuinely so. Keep the faith, and may your journey take you far.

4. RazorHawk says:

One thing I must say about GS is that it was such a pleasure to work with him to help the homeless this summer. Something about this man just gets to you, you know? He is a genuine good soul whose compassion can be felt as if it were a physical force. I am so much looking forward to serving with him again. Great guy and definitely a hero in his own right.

Good on ya’ brother!

RH

5. PastorChief says:

I grew up in Baton Rouge with GS. He’s one of the kindest, most sincere people I know. His work as a real life super hero didn’t begin with the costume; he’s been in the hero business for years, helping, encouraging, and just being a blessing to everyone around him. He’s been a faithful servant of his fellow man in Mexico, Africa, Brazil, all over the state of LA, and now in the city of Los Angeles and I’ve been priveleged to be there with him to witness his awesome-ness in action. L.A., you’re in good hands with the Good Samaritan on the watch!

6. Leslie says:

This is such an amazing thing you’re doing! I always knew you were headed for greatness. I’m so proud to call you friend. I’ll be praying for you and for more opportunities to serve and to be someone’s hero! Love you!
    Leslie from b.r.

7. dc says:

GS. . .you are what many of us aspire to be. . .don’t let the world slow you down. . .i’m glad to call you friend. . .

dc

8. Cambion says:

I know, with the name, it’s going to come as something of a shock… but you and I are not so different. Maybe we can work together, one day…

9. Inspiring… as compeling an example of James biblical verse that ” faith without works is dead ” as I’ve seen in SOME time.

10. the Death's Head Moth says:

Nicest person I’ve met in a long time.

11. Ethan says:

hi, to tell you the truth i’ve always thought of becoming a hero, but i wouldnt even know where to begin…so my question is what exactly do you guys do? i mean i know what all of your descriptions say but there pretty vague as to say “exactly” what you guys do, for instance what do you do on patrols? are you guys take the law into your own hands?….what im trying to say is (now im going to try and make this sound like less of a lame question haha :P ) are you guys crime fighters? i would really love to know more about the specifics of what you guys do…for example good samaritan do you steal fresh water from the rich to give to the homeless?

i think what you guys are doing is outstanding and maybe one day you’ll see me don a cape and mask

12. Sheba says:

Good Samaritan is the nicest person I have ever met. Our beliefs differ but his dedication to change the world around us, inspires me.

13. Captan ADD says:

God be with you, and thank you for being a Christian Superhero

14. LastJohn says:

Dios te bendiga, Buen samaritano. Desde Colombia estaré orando por ti.

admin translation: God bless you, Good Samaritan. From Colombia will be praying for you.

15. Nightwalker says:

I too am a fellow Christian and RLSH. Jesus Christ is the one and only true hero. I am just here to be like Christ. I really admire the fact that you are very bold with your beliefs, God will surely bless you as you continue to follow his will.

16. the canadian says:

any tips for a believer looking to get involved yet remain anonymous?

17. S.G. says:

Good Samaritan is one of those overall good people. It amazes me at how much of his life he has given up to help others that he doesn’t even know. His attitude towards change and helping others is outstanding. He isn’t one of the ones who goes around stopping the local drug dealers, or getting in between and breaking up fights. He definitely is a real life superhero who has impacted the world and has saved many lives.
    Keep it up!

18. Tman says:

Hi i really wanna be a superhero but not really sure about it plez give me advice? Aka how to train to be one.

Ethan: No, we don’t take the law into our own hands. We are actively “on watch” and frequently call the police to something that we find that they need their attention toward.

20. The Saint says:

Hello, I am a RLSH and I found out about this program 3 years ago… Since then my dream has been to see myself on the top of this site alongside the other heroes I have learned of through this site. The Good Samaritan is my idol because I too am religious and believe that time is now to spread the gospel of heroes… I also an a big fan of DC’s Gaurdian

21. Maya says:

Hi Good Samaritan – what you are doing is admirable. Everything about you, from your costume to your profile, is very unpretentious and grounded. Keep up the good work, don’t ever change!