Posted in Heroes, News on Tuesday, June 21st, 2011 at 12:00 pm 157 Comments

While he may be a man of few words, Geist reserves his strongest ones for those who are considering donning the gear and joining the movement. “Wanna become a Real-Life Superhero?,” he asks, “COOL! But get ready to pay the price for all the secrets you’re gonna have to keep.”

Working to protect the people of southeastern Minnesota, kitted out in what can only be described as “green Space-Cowboy chic,” Geist focuses his efforts on those who need it the most; the victims of tragedy, the homeless, and various non-political local charities, getting in quickly and quietly, and getting out the same way, much like the ghost from which he takes his name. “I become a lot less interesting if I hang around,” he claims. He also devotes a considerable amount of time running crime deterrence patrols—fully cognizant of the boundaries between his work and that of the police—and is prepared to make a Citizen’s Arrest, if necessary. And he does it all with a uniquely humble wit that borders on the self-effacing. “I’m basically just a guy who tries to do some good things,” he says. “I’ve succeeded at some, had marginal success at others, and have had my fair share of total screw-ups.”

A relative newcomer to the world of Real Life Superheroes, Geist has quickly become admired and respected by his compatriots, which explains why so many potential Superheroes seek him out for advice. Eager to hit the streets swinging, they are quickly met with Geist’s own brand of tough love, actively discouraging such newcomers from taking on what he characterizes as a highly-compartmentalized life. “I keep my identity a secret among a few close friends. The rest [of my former friends] don’t think I like them anymore, and I’ve given them a lot of good reasons to keep away.” That said, once a neophyte demonstrates a sincere commitment to the principles of life as a Superhero, Geist is there for them 100%. “I’ll do anything to talk them out of it, but then, I want to help them do it any way I can.”

Yet beneath the no-nonsense demeanor, lies a heart that beats for the sole purpose of selflessly doing everything he can to comfort, aid, and assist those in need, whether it’s watching over the safety of others, exhausting his “Geist budget” to provide treats for cats and dogs in a local shelter, or bringing a smile to the face of a child living in Ronald McDonald House. “We’re all people who have met through the Heroes Network,” a stronghold of information, strictly limited to those in the Real Life Superhero movement, “who are trying to be good. We’d be doing this whether we get press or not. It’s awesome, sure, but with or without it, we’re doing it anyway. And we’re going to keep doing it. Someone has to watch over those who no one watches.”

Serving as a symbol to encourage others to think about—and act upon—what they can do to make their world a better place, without wearing a uniform, Geist readily admits to the transformative effect of suiting up and going to work. “You have to be pure, and when the costume goes on, it becomes pure. It’s the best thing you can possibly be, it’s the best I can possibly be. And every moment that costume is on, I am the best that I can possibly be.”

Learn more about Paws & Claws Shelter at:

And Ronald MacDonald House of Rochester, MN:

Geist’s Pictures:

Geist's Poster Geist's Portrait

157 Comments to “Geist”

1. Moon Beam says:

Hi I was wondering if there was any New Zealanders here and mr Geist, Do you have any tips on what to bring with me and stuff like that. Email me at
    P.S- Should my name have a space or not?
    -Moon Beam

2. Moon Beam says:

Hi, I’m from New Zealand and I’ve been patrolling recently. I don’t have an actual costume, just a ski mask, glasses (dark) and some gloves. This protects my identity sure but, most would be afraid if they saw me at a crime scene. So I was wondering where to get my suit. I have some designs and you are the only person I’ve seen reply (so far…)
    P.S- Should my name have a space or not?

3. Moon Beam says:

I reckon every city should have at least 2 heros, that way there are 2 sources for inspiration. I’m doing it to inspire people to stand up for whats right, even if it’s just to donate to a charity.

Heya Moon Beam.

I’d go without the space, because space is already implied in your name. :-)

There is another RLSH I’ve read about in New Zealand named Flatman.
    I don’t know if I’ve ever online conversed with him, but he seems like a pretty great guy. I would connect with him and ask him for pointers.

What you bring depends on what your goals and mission are. Always bring a fully-charged cell phone. That’s your best item to have. Like-minded friends, if possible are your next.

Beyond that, if you’re feeding the homeless on the public sidewalks, you’re probably cool. If you’re intending on finding the homeless camps under overpasses or river jungles, have a friendly nature and some bodily protection as well as a non-lethal defensive item like pepper spray or stun weaponry if legal in your area.

Never carry anything which isn’t legal in your state or province. Even if you’re going into dark alleys to legally paint over gang graffiti with neutral gray spray paint, you don’t want to be the one picked up by the police with something you shouldn’t have been carrying.

Research your local laws. You don’t want to be the idiot RLSH arrested who ruins it all for us while the perps got away.

Stay Safe, Stay Sharp and Legal, My Friend.
    All My Best,

Red Night: No prob, Friend. I appreciate your interest and my time is limited for these online activities. Thanks for being proactive on that, Bud.

To Kuba:

Hi Young Hero.

You have a whole lot of work to do, young Friend. I understand the idea of being fascinated by us, because I was fascinated by Batman and the Green Hornet on TV at about your age. They were so awesome. For now, I’d stick to all of the great Marvel and DC movies and TV shows coming out to provide inspiration and ideas for you.

Later, when you’re about in your later teens (Not so long), you can do some serious work volunteering for community service to help those in need. That’s largely what I do right now.

Supposedly, the “action” stuff comes when you’re over 18 or something after you’ve taken martial arts and everything. Know what? I’ve done that. I’m over fifty and haven’t been able to get in a fight yet without talking it down first.

No fights = Everyone wins and goes home.

All My Best,

7. kuba says:

i made up a name called iron shadow i been waiting 2 years to be a superhero and i would really like to be a superhero also you’re the best!!!!!!

i really want to join because i saw soundwave and jet storm and there kids so i want to be a kid superhero my dream is to be a superhero