Phantom Zero

Posted in Heroes, News on Thursday, June 23rd, 2011 at 12:00 pm 13 Comments

While most focus on the destination, Phantom Zero looks to the journey. Starting “from nothing, literally,” he has gone from zero to Real Life Superhero, mentor and inspiration to many, without ever forgetting where he came from. “I wouldn’t be nearly as empathetic as I am, had I not experienced some pretty dark and low things,” he says.

Phantom Zero’s journey began in a densely populated, highly urbanized town across the river from New York City. There he went on regular patrols, and came to realize that the local police were doing a fine job of keeping the neighborhood safe. His focus then shifted upon moving to a smaller town in Central New Jersey, and he now devotes most of his energies to working one-on-one, helping often random people through their personal crises, steering them toward resources or organizations to further them along their journeys. “Being a Real Life Superhero is a way that I can be someone better than I ever thought I could be,” he explains. “We forget the bad parts of who we are, dropping the reminders of our identities which are painful, compensating for our flaws and the ‘shadow aspect’ of ourselves,” a Jungian concept that suggests the “darkness” in man’s soul is also the fount of genuine creativity.

“For me, “ he says, “it was the recognition that it’s all been a learning process, every aspect of being a Superhero is learning. One thing I think I should stress is, that as a Real Life Superhero, I don’t have any sort of formal training in anything. Anything. I’ve had to pick up what I can do, what is a reputable charity, and the like, on my own. It’s been very enlightening in more than an academic sense, picking up certain skills, picking up bits of wisdom, learning about problems people have, problems that we all face. It’s like opening up your eyes to what’s going on in the world.”

Though he wears a striking black and white costume (with a shock of red), to conceal and protect his real identity, he also does so out of a life-long love of all things theatrical, including make-up, props and illusion–and in the process, has created a new, anonymous-yet-recognizable representation of his individualistic expression. And often that expression comes in the form of the written word. “I have a lot on my mind, and I usually do a lot of writing. It’s a way for me to put order into things. It’s also a bridge to help make others understand what I’m thinking, to make those thoughts accessible from other perspectives.” Again, sharing the journey. And the knowledge he collects along the way.

“When we lose the sense of what makes us human, he lose rational thoughts along with it—at which point evil takes over, and we do monstrous things,” he says. To combat that, when newcomers to the Superhero movement seek him out for advice, he offers his own perspective, gained from his constant quest for intellectual stimulation. “Go out there and have the courage to try something, to go out and do it. You can look to the luminaries and learn from them, but understand that every individual has something to offer. Find what’s yours and share it with the world. Life is not worth living unless you can laugh, love and feel.”

Share Phantom Zero’s quest for knowledge here:
www.americares.org
www.charitynavigator.org

Phantom Zero’s Pictures:

Phantom Zero's Poster Phantom Zero's Portrait

13 Comments to “Phantom Zero”

1. SkyMan says:

Most impressive!! I like that PZ brings up Jung and wears an ascot in his uniform!! If only I had that much class!!

2. ILLEVEN says:

The transition from ex-military civilian to RLSH is truely a hard one. I constantly battle with my identity. I was born 11 but keeping that under wraps has been a trial. I worry about the impact i make in my area as a civilian as i prep my suit and it seems like it will take forever for me to start patroling in uniform! I’ve always wanted to fight for JUSTICE and TRUTH but i always try the BIG BATTLES… MOST OF THEM alone.. so i don’t always accomplish what i set out for. The day GOD showed me on the news that their were RLSH i was living in VA. There were 7 known REALS in the USA. Since then i have been getting ready… as i put it… to re-enlist for the fight. Though as a RLSH i’m still new and unmarked, I feel an honor to fight the fight beside ALL OF YOU!!

3. lead sharp says:

Again, inspiring :)

4. PZ,

You appear to be quite the national leader of this group.
    Just over the couse of two days I have watched a lot of YouTube
    with you and others as the subjects and read a lot from various
    sites about the RLSH viewpoints and projects.

It is hard to take this all so seriously, however, on the other hand,
    it is easy to also express my admiration. I remember as a tween I would
    wish that I could discover a supernatural talent or skill to REALLY
    help the world. Now I can see both the my world of fantasy
    and my world of reality blending in just what I do now…..
    just not as flamboyant or outstanding as the RLSH.
    Yet, I am learning that I am a little jealous, too.

In any case, all in all, what I really want to say to all of the RLSH?
    Keep up the good work!! =)

Kenneth J Searcy, RN
    Critical Care Nurse
    Prehospital Educator
    cprxprt@AOL.com

5. Red Voltage says:

PZ is great, a true inspiring hero with much much class, Mr Jack and him are the classy RLSH. I hope we all keep up the good work and fight for whats right, if we have a chance at helping others for free, in our own creative way, Go FOr it! I am excited about this movement, it a big step for mankind and I believe in the idea of the symbol!

Red Voltage

PZ My Friend,

So eloquent and so substantial. And your poster is stunning.

Among your quotes, I especially loved the concept that we all have to “open up our eyes.” For me, that all sums it up, Bud.

All My Best,
    Geist

7. DC says:

pz. . .always an intimidating figure. . .with a heart of gold. . .

dc

8. Mint Berry Crunch says:

Good job keep up with the patrolling!

9. DangerWoman says:

Phantom Zero, you make me think about my late boyfriend, The Phantom Highlander, who you do remind me of.
    Phantom Highlander used to show up when things got messy for me.
    He did save my tofu a few times and was the one who convinced me to let go of The Orion Crossbow, before I break the villain’s legs.
    He sacrificed his life to save the world from something very horrible a few years ago.

DANGER WOMAN

10. robin says:

can i be your sidekick i want to help new jersey to

11. Zero says:

Phantom in maybe 2 months a new hero (me) will patrol Eureka named zero I’m not trying to rip you off I. Just need you’re advice by and you’re awesome

12. Somone says:

inspiring advice

13. Person says:

Why does he look like a villain? He looks more scary than intimidating :(