Civitron

Posted in Heroes, News on Thursday, June 30th, 2011 at 12:00 pm 13 Comments

There’s no place like home. And for Civitron, there’s no better place to begin the ongoing task of making a difference in his community—and beyond. “I believe that saving the world starts at home,” he says, “The Universe is always changing, and I like to view myself as a part of that changing Universe. I look for signals, signs that show me where I need to be. And all those signs pointed me right to my family, to my son.”

A Real Life Superhero living and working in Massachusetts, Civitron is an “artistic representation of self, a father, family man, and creative director of socially-conscious events and projects.” Much like a hip-hop artist will adopt a stage name and persona, Civitron exists as “my ambassador to the world and a symbol of creative altruism,” he says, while still allowing him a comfortable level of anonymity. “Instead of fighting ‘crime,’ I seek justice,” he continues, “I prefer direct social and emotional contact with the public as opposed to sticking to the shadows.”

And stepping out of those shadows allows him to engage in a wide range of activities including street patrols, homeless outreach, community clean-ups, and Boston-based Project Bread’s annual Walk for Hunger, as well as hosting a series of ongoing events bringing together all facets of the arts and altruism, featuring live music, community art projects, and offering information about volunteer opportunities within his city. “I endeavor to create a positive male role model for young people to explore their community and use their own unique abilities to ‘be the change they wish to see in the world’.” He calls it “living your truth.”

And Civitron is living his truth by challenging all of us to be the heroes he knows we can be. To that end, he launched “The Heroic 100,” in the summer of 2010, an online project designed to “promote personal truth and exploration through self-expression and creative activism.” The website asks visitors to develop and share their own ideas for making the world a better place, in order to strengthen their communities—and inspire the real-life superhero inside each of us. New challenges are issued every day for 100 days, and range from multi-day efforts like seeking out and volunteering at a local soup kitchen, to simpler one-offs, such as reading to a child in your life. Project participants are then asked to document their works, in all forms of media, from drawings or paintings, to essays and articles, or even in poetry or song. Oftentimes, suggestions are made as to which medium might work best for a particular challenge on the list. The goal behind it all is to then post those submissions for the world to see—and become inspired to try it for themselves. “I created the ‘Heroic 100’ to help me understand who Civitron really is, and at the end of the day, what my place is in the world.”

Ultimately, it all comes down to family, which he cites as a “constant source” of inspiration. “As I move forward, I see myself sort of working from that perspective more and more,” says Civitron, “What appeals to my son, what’s important to him in his life, and what he needs to grow up to become a superhero in his own right.”

Learn more about The Heroic 100 at:
www.heroic100.org
And join Civitron in supporting Project Bread:
www.projectbread.org
… and the AS220 Community Print Shop:
www.as220.org

Civitron’s Pictures:

Civitron's Poster Civitron's Portrait

13 Comments to “Civitron”

1. Zetaman says:

Civitron is the ginchiest!

2. Minuteman says:

Mucho Awesomesauce

3. RazorHawk says:

Love it! And Civi is definitely awesome in general!

4. The Animal says:

I Like What You Are Doing Civitron

5. Champion says:

I lived about 20 mins from where civitron is for 23 years (i’m 25). i consider him my home town hero. its nice to know, now that i live 4 hours away, there is a hero so close by to the people i care about.

6. [...] so far, the following NINE heroes accepted the mission! Civitron Dark Guardian DC’s Guardian Geist Life Razorhawk Superhero The Crimson Fist Urban [...]

well i see what your doing and i like it but unfortuanitly im a fighter not a lover and im also a hopefull would be member of the black monday society

8. Trever says:

Its great your doing.

9. Future_Hero says:

I really dig your costume. I hope you read these. You’re a real life superhero with a page lol You should totally read about your fans. So if you see a conflict do you go bash some skulls like Spider-Man or do you just try to talk it out? These days I think your fists of justice are in more need than another smooth talker… besides.. you’re a superhero.. it’s ok lol

10. havoc... says:

Good job…glad to see that their are good people still..how can I sign up.

11. [...] THEY DO IT IN (more funny, less sexy) COSTUMES! “Mr. Xtreme“, “Nyx“, “Civitron” and many more … >via (hihi) Share [...]

12. Dangerman says:

I Lived in Fall River for years. I thought about being a hero since I was a kid. Didn’t know people were actually doing it and so close by.

13. Quinn says:

You teach people that you don’t have to do big things to make an impact on this earth. Every little things helps and counts. Your small action can change someone’s day for the better. You can be considered a great role model for many people and you could inspire many people to get up and try to make a change in the world! You are a living proof that 1 person can change the world. I would like to end with a quote by Apple Inc: “Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” You are a true inspiration, keep up the great work!