Nyx

Posted in Heroes, News on Tuesday, July 5th, 2011 at 12:00 pm 89 Comments

The night has many faces, but none more intriguing than that of Nyx, a Real Life Superhero who is active in and around the New York City and Northern New Jersey areas. Clad in black, with striped leggings and a distinctive red mask, Nyx sets out to do her patrols and homeless outreach in a mysterious, stealth-like manner. “Like the night, I cannot be proven or disproven to certain degrees; and also much like the night, when morning comes, there will be no trace of me.”

Nyx made her initial, tentative steps into the movement at 16, after considering it for many years (during which time she frequently changed her name—from “Hellcat” to “Felinity” to “Sphynx,” before setting on her present moniker—“I had a penchant for name changes,” she says, simply). A series of life-changing events came to provide her with a new perspective, and helped crystallize her goals. After discovering the active online Real Life Superhero community in 2006, and visiting New York to meet up with her online confidantes on her first patrol in March of 2007, the die was cast.

Contemplative and highly-intuitive, Nyx possesses a deep respect for any and all who are willing to step up, stand out and come to the aid and defense of those in need. Lessons she learned from her greatest hero, her mother. “Whenever I go looking for the best parts of myself, I always find her there. I want to live the life she never had. I live for her name.”

To that end, Nyx concentrates her efforts on behalf of those society has forgotten or worse yet, are made too uncomfortable to acknowledge, the homeless. “There’s a huge homeless population in New Jersey,” she says, “and I found I couldn’t just sit idly by.” Recognizing that poor people must often make hard choices between housing, food, child care, health care and education, she knew she had to act “Being poor means being an illness, an accident or a paycheck away from living on the streets,” she says, “and that makes the homeless easy targets on many levels.” Which is why she feels the strong need to protect these vulnerable individuals any way she can, from car patrols to foot patrols, to anonymous reporting to the city police department.

Nyx also recognizes that as a Real Life Superhero, she is part of a collective largely dominated by men, who, while acting on their best altruistic impulses, may also have a tendency to overlook and undervalue the efforts of their female counterparts. “We can do just as good a job,” she points out, “so it’s important to be viewed as a person, not just some chick.”

And she’d like to see more outreach to women, who she believes have much to offer the movement. “You have the power to shape your life, your life is your own. I take that to heart, knowing that I can own my life and make it good—and make it good for others as well.”

Nyx welcomes your support of the National Association of the Deaf:
www.nad.org

Nyx’s Pictures:

Nyx's Poster Nyx's Portrait

89 Comments to “Nyx”

1. BlackRose says:

hey nyx good work keep it up

2. Hit Gal says:

Nyx, do you operate alone in NY/NJ area? Or do you have a super hero group in the area that people can join you and team up? email me please…. thanks.

3. Scott (Gemini) says:

Hey Nyx, I figured you would be the best to ask since it says you started when you were 16. Well I’m 15 and want to become my own superhero. But I was wondering if there was anyone around newport news Virginia that might teach me some things on my first few patrols. I run a few fundraisers and campaigns in school so I figured I could also use that to help the community in general, along with the other crime fighting that I’ll do. I’d love it if someone could give me some advice and/or help untill I understand a little more of the superhero world. I’m serious about doing this, working on a uniform(costume) now. ANYTHING you could do to help would be greatly appreciated. You can contact me here: ellis.scott31@yahoo.com Have a nice day/night.

4. jack says:

Nyx ,you should wear your old opaque mask it made u look more,strong and beautiful,this transparent one reveals ur identity

5. Oracle says:

Great work. Keep it up!

I’m more of a behind-the-scenes type, but I want to connect.

Have a great and safe weekend!

~Oracle

6. Flamez says:

I have to say to the whole community. THANK YOU. Not a single dirty comment was said. I just got off Youtube were nasty comments are made all the time. But, you guys are such great people. I like it here.

7. Niteman says:

Nyx,
    Hi im new to this forum. I will be relocating to the NYC area in about five months and was wondering if you could suggest an area to patrol. I realize it is a huge city but any pointers would be appreciated.
    Thanks and great job.

8. NightBlade says:

Hey! :) You’re awesome!…and gorgeous lol :P do u have a website?

9. odin says:

be careful out there, a lot of us believe in all you guys.

10. ArchAngel says:

Help is needed in every place around the world. Homeless are taken advantage of, however everyone needs someone looking out for them even when they do admit it. Nyx, please contact me.

11. ArchAngel says:

As i was trying to say… even when they dont admit it.

12. ArchAngel says:

To Niteman… NYC is a big place and has alot of danger. Be careful.

13. [...] (more funny, less sexy) COSTUMES! AND THEY HAVE FUNNY NAMES, TOO: “Mr. Xtreme“, “Nyx“, “Civitron” and many more … >via (hihi) Share [...]

14. Iron Raven says:

i am a resident of new hampshire intrested in joining the RLSH movement but was wondering if there were any groups near me and as to what way would be the most convienient and best way to find and contact such groups.

15. midnight shadow says:

I live in cairo/Egypt and I’m almost the only one who is willing to be a super hero I’m 13 and I would apreciate a few pointers mail me at abdullahrakha@hotmail.com please. Be safe

16. Red Blue says:

Hey Iron Raven I’m a hero in NH looking to form up a group

17. Red says:

Im still on the making. Loading my new superhero personality. Im right now in Cleveland ohio. All my family are in Camden Nj.. And camden is so bad and dagerous hood. To much killing, drugs, robery, Rape, and I dont like it seen my mother and sis and brother been scare and been always luck inside the house. Next neightbor was shoot and killed, The store owner next to my mom house was also killed and other 3 people injured. People been afraid. This needs to stop. Im 38 years old and crime needs to be stop. My brother hes a cop… I feel like joining and be trained and Camden Need US. People need Us… We al have to be United as one strong and stronger society of superhero.

18. Adam says:

Nyx, right now I would like to give a NYC-sized thumbs up to you for all your hard work. I highly salute you, and please keep up the good work.

19. katniss says:

i love your costume. but is it not hard to walk and run in high heels?

20. samia says:

you’re doing a good job, keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!! (^_^)

21. Elaina says:

u are doing an awesome job!!!!! :) i am inspried by u

22. Voltage says:

Can you be a real life superhero in England oh and great work

23. Matias Martinez says:

From Montevideo, Uruguay, South America, you’re now my favourtie super woman! You’re not only beautifull but also remarcable!
    If sometime you think in visiting south america, come to Uruguay!!!

24. Anon says:

Hello fellow citizens I know we all have goals in life
    But you must understand that goals without deadlines
    Are just dreams, I WISH all my goals/dreams come true
    I believe in “anonymous” is and always will be an idea
    And also refer to those who are citizens as the 99 percent
    All I really know is that the world is not all that good
    And the BEST WAY TO FIGHT villans or hate groups or the
    Corrupt is to stand together imagine 1 RLSH vs 3 on patrol
    Now imagine thousands of Anon believers vs the government
    Big difference right? So why doesn’t it happen; its because of the
    Fear that they’ll be that 1 person that will fight alone. For I have
    No solution to this all I do is cry at night knowing these bad people are
    Still out there and knowing they will never change but WORSE of all is
    That those who wish to do something are to scared and those
    Who are STILL not aware of the corrupt system or bad guys from anywhere
    Are controlled by the media into thinking what they want you to
    Think. FOOD for THOUGHT ! Don’t disagree what you don’t know.

25. THE SHADOW says:

were is oracle team i can’t find them in michigan anywhere i seem to be only rlsh in michigan

26. Batgirl says:

Dear Nyx,
    I am a fourteen year old girl who wants to be the Batgirl. is this possible? I love helping people and I am pretty street smart. I have been studying the Batman and I find that it is hard but possible to be him. Please help me I am a petite girl who everyone says is not strong enough to make a difference. although I may look small I am very strong flexible and I run incredibly fast. I take Martial arts and I want this really bad. You are amazing and I really hope you understand.
    Batgirl

27. Zero says:

Nyx I was wondering if I could have some advice you see I’m a hero in training and I would like to know if you have any suggestion on weapons to defend people and me please reply

28. theLastMohican says:

dear Nyx
    aroooo…
    sorry. much respect. i think you’re spectacular.

@Batgirl
    please be careful young one. martial arts cannot stop bullets or knives. combat is very different to martial arts…especially for a young girl. but i admire your spirit….if only some grown men i know had your courage to just consider kicking some ass. just try and stay alive long enough to make a difference:)

@Zero
    if you don’t mind my suggestion….weapons i think would be effective on the street. (besides guns and knives)..tazer. ninja keyring. rope. cable ties. smoke bombs(which you would have to make yourself). a stick or staff. those are a few things that are non lethal….assuming you don’t want to kill the criminal.

29. Somone says:

i agree alot of women are under-apreciated, women do alot of good as well as guy rlsh

30. Peanut Legs says:

I noticed that there was only one woman superhero on the RLSH website; and you had the courage to be the chosen one. As I live in some of the worst neighborhoods in Indianapolis, perhaps you could help me link up with some fellow real-life superheroes from that area. I have been the victim of two muggings within five years at a northeast side apartment complex; so I am motivated to become a superhero myself.

31. Anon says:

@theLastMohican

He might also need some protective gear. The type that can protect him from bullets, but not hinder his movement. There should probably be some insulation from electricity. Some criminals are like regular people and if a normal person can get a tazer, so can they.

32. Anon says:

I’m a different Anon, by the way. Just saw that there was another Anon. Hehe. You can just call me Average Joe.

33. [...] Nyx est l’une des rares héroïnes. Elle combat le mal à New-York et dans le New-Jersey. Elle intervient auprès des sans-domicile-fixe et soutient la National Association of the Deaf (l’Asso Nationale des Mal-entendants). Mais elle a du mal à se faire respecter en tant que Super Héroïne de la Vraie Vie par ses collgues hommes. Elle dit : “On fait le même boulot, c’est important qu’on soit vue comme alter ego, pas comme une meuf.” [...]

34. [...] right here in Gotham – regular working stiffs by day and vigilantes by night!  Some protect the homeless, some target the war on drugs, and some are simply trying to teach people a little [...]

35. Random French Teen says:

Damn I’m happy that there are some women who are RLSH!
    As for the mask, I think she can keep this one. She’s a homeless protector, not a crime fighter, so the risk for her is lesser and even in comics some superhero-ine-s don’t try that hard to have a secret identity (She-Hulk, for example, though I just read Savage She-Hulk and there she was trying to hide her She-Hulk identity!)

36. dominic says:

Well i just wanna say keep up the goodwork in u guys r doing a good job i was never like hero i lost one of my friends to sucide and it took an emotional toll on me and well i think u guys r doing a great job and well ya

37. Savvy says:

Nyx, I think it’s amazing that you were only 16 when you decided to become your own superhero, i’m 15 and i find it unbelievable that by next year i could easily be a superhero. Another reason it’s great that you were younger is becomes it really gives the younger generation hope to good in the world. Not to mention the fact that you’re a women, when you said “We can do just as good a job,” “so it’s important to be viewed as a person, not just some chick.” it was kind of inspiring. A lot of people think girls can’d do a mans job, i guess a never new helping people in the world can only be a mans jobs. It’s amazing that you help people and show that women can do anything to provide for this world as well! Be safe!

38. Michael says:

good job nyx i admire your tenacity and courage to do this and above all you are the only female on the team and you can handle your business koodios to you, and i would also like to see more women participate in the group or organization thanks for all your efforts nyx and personally i liked the name sphynx

39. Lemontree says:

Hey, Nyx:
    Absolutely, you are a hero.
    In a world riddled with greed mistaken for success, abject poverty, further impoverished by suspicion and blame, and perpetuated violence against women and girls, that’s insanely dualistic ( reaction of horror when news of brutalities occur, but with insatiable hunger to witness such brutality and violation in media and entertainment = dualistic insanity)…it is nice to know that some of us do not sit idly by, and try to make an actual difference.

Bravo, Sister!

© 2016 Peter Tangen/The Real Life Super Hero Project. All Rights Reserved. • Website Customized by James Kocsis